- Clock Hour Training Review
- Missouri Workshop Calendar
- Training Evaluations
- Training Approval Process
Caregivers in licensed child care facilities are required to receive 12 clock hours of DHSS approved training each year. Child Care Facility Specialists (CCFS) review training records annually to ensure compliance. When reviewing clock hour records, CCFS accept clock hours that are:
- On a Program Training Report generated from OPEN’s Toolbox.
- On a MOPD Registry Member Training Report from OPEN’s Toolbox.
- Documented with a 9- or 13-digit approval code from the Missouri Workshop Calendar (MWC). Beginning January 2014 all face to face training approved through the MWC must be documented with a 13-digit MWC code. Online on demand training approved through the MWC will be documented with a 9-digit MWC code.
- Identified on the MWC “Online on demand” tab.
- Conferences listed on the MWC “Pre-approved national” tab.
- Child related college credits earned and reported on a transcript or grade report from a regionally accredited college or university. For courses completed January 1, 2014 forward, only official transcripts (or copies) will be accepted for clock hours.*
- Documented with a DHSS approval ID number (valid through December 31, 2014.)
- Provided by Local Public Health Agency staff (valid through December 31, 2014.)
- Provided by DHSS staff (valid through December 31, 2014.)
- Documented as received at the 2013 or 2014 Conference on the Young Years.
The Missouri Workshop Calendar (MWC) can be accessed at www.moworkshopcalendar.org. As it is a child care provider’s responsibility to identify that training is approved, child care programs can prepare in advance for the CCFS clock hour review by ensuring that training documentation meets one of the above requirements.
CCFS must be able to identify training has been approved by viewing training documentation. Child care providers should contact the trainer or email CCTraining@health.mo.gov to determine if a training session is approved if it does not meet one of the approval types above. Until a determination can be made, a child care facility will be in noncompliance of 19 CSR 30-62.102 (3) or 19 CSR 30-61.105 (4) if a staff member does not have the minimum number of required approved clock hours. If it is determined that the training in question was approved prior to the inspection date, the inspection will be amended to remove the violation. If the training is approved after the inspection date, the CCFS will accept the new documentation as a correction of the violation. Child care providers are responsible for submitting documentation of approval for the training in question or additional training hours to the CCFS to correct the violation.
If completed training does not meet one of the above requirements the trainer may apply for approval retroactively. Information about submitting a training application for approval can be found on the DHSS Section for Child Care Regulation website at www.health.mo.gov/childcare/trainerinfo.php.
An electronic training attendance record is established when a training participant provides his/her Missouri Professional Development (MOPD) ID at a training that has been approved by DHSS through the Missouri Workshop Calendar. The trainer is required to enter MOPD IDs collected from training participants on the MWC after the training has been completed. Training records can then be printed and provided to the CCFS during clock hour training record review. From the Toolbox, at https://www.openinitiative.org/Login.aspx, directors, owners, family home providers, training coordinators or others may set up their DVN’s information in order to print a single report containing electronic staff training records. An instruction sheet is available to assist directors, owners, family home providers, and administrators in setting up a DVN’s training report with staff MOPD IDs. Questions about setting up a DVN’s training report or printing an individual’s training report should be directed to OPEN at 1-877-782-0185 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Missouri’s Department of Social Services has designated the University of Missouri’s Opportunities in a Professional Education Network (OPEN) to maintain a registry for early childhood and youth development professionals. Membership in the Missouri Professional Development Registry for Early Childhood and Youth Development Professionals is optional; only a MOPD ID is needed for providers wishing to establish electronic training records.
Additional Clock Hour Information:
- Clock hours are to be earned and recorded from January 1 through December 31. Training hours will be prorated at one clock hour per month of employment for staff beginning employment within the year for which records are being reviewed.
- The number of clock hours required is not prorated for any facility, regardless of the number of months per year or number of hours per week in operation.
- Clock hour training received prior to the month in which the child care provider was employed at the licensed facility may be counted toward that calendar year’s requirements.
- Training hours may not be carried forward from one year to the next.
- There is no limit to the number of clock hours that may be earned online. Some online training organizations may require that a MOPD ID be provided in order to receive clock hours.
- Training sessions provided by directors must be approved to award clock hours.
- Clock hours earned in excess of the twelve (12) training clock hours for the current year may not be carried over to the next year.
- Clock hours earned to complete the previous year’s requirements will not be applied to the current year’s clock hour requirements.
- Trainers may not be awarded clock hour for training sessions they are approved to conduct.
- Child care providers may not receive clock hours for duplicate training taken within the same calendar year.
- Training documentation must include the following information:
- Participant name
- Legible trainer name (or organization name for online training)
- Training title as approved
- Date of training
- Number of clock hours
- The training approval number should be included in the documentation in order for the CCFS to identify the training as approved in a timely manner.
- Child Development Associate (CDA) credentials and Youth Development Certification (YDC) will count for 12 clock hours in the year the initial or renewal certification was awarded.
- First Aid and CPR trainers must complete the approval process in order to award clock hours for First Aid and CPR training.
Child care providers can locate DHSS approved training on the Missouri Workshop Calendar (MWC). The MWC provides tabs for:
- Online on demand - Online and distance training available 24/7
- Pre-Approved National Events
- By Request - Available upon request by contacting the trainer
The MWC has a search feature that allows a search of scheduled training by distance from zip code or city, core competency, trainer, and other categories.
DHSS depends on feedback from training participants to evaluate the effectiveness of training that has been approved. Trainers are asked to provide an opportunity for participants to submit an evaluation at the end of each training session. This feedback will enable the trainer to make changes, when necessary, to the content and delivery style of the training material. If you have a concern about a training session you have attended, send an email to CCTraining@health.mo.gov.
In your email, include as much of the following information as possible:
- Trainer Name
- Training Session Title
- Training Approval Number
- Date of Training
- Location of Training
- Comments about one or more of the following:
- Inappropriate/inaccurate training content
- Instructor knowledge of subject
- Opportunity for audience participation
- Professionalism of the trainer
- Effectiveness of handouts, videos, and visual aids
- Appropriateness of room and/or location
- Overall impression of the training
- Did the trainer ask you to complete a training evaluation?
Your name will be kept confidential, but general comments may be shared with the trainer. You will receive a response acknowledging DHSS’s receipt of your email.
Training approval information can be found at www.health.mo.gov/childcare/trainerinfo.php. Prior to attending training, please ensure that the trainer has completed this process or is providing training approved by another of the accepted methods listed in the Clock Hour Training Review section above.
Clock hour training questions should be directed to CCtraining@health.mo.gov.