The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services has four internship appointments yearly; up to four of these will be filled with employees of the Department of Health and Senior Services or one of its contractors. Additional appointment(s), as needed, will be filled through computer matching. A telephone interview will be conducted for the highest ranked applicants. Include a phone number in your application where you may be reached, if needed, for a telephone interview.
All materials must be originals. Application materials consist of the following:
- Complete application form.
- Original Verification Statement signed by a DPD program representative (obtained from your college).
- ALL official transcripts for EACH college attended, along with transcripts which confirm a baccalaureate or advanced degree. Applicants with a foreign degree must obtain validation of equivalency to a baccalaureate or advanced degree.
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from a current or previous (paid or voluntary) work experience. Others suggested may include an academic faculty or professional associate. The individuals writing recommendations should know the applicant's qualifications well.
Complete recommendation form.
- A personal letter outlining the applicant's career goals, what he/she hopes to gain from participation in the PDI, why he/she chose to apply to an internship with a strong foundation in community and public health nutrition, why you want to enter the dietetics profession, what are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career, what are your short-term and long-term goals and what are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
The letter is limited to 1,000 words or less, Times New Roman (12 font) and single spaced. Indicate a phone number and e-mail address where you can be reached, if necessary, on Applicant Appointment Day.
Pre-select applicants must submit their application with a postmark date no later than midnight December 15th. All materials should be included in one application packet and sent to:
Director, Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI)
Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
Bureau of WICNS
P.O. Box 570
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0570
Pre-Select interns are notified by phone and letter regarding their acceptance into PDI by the fourth Friday in January.
Computer Match Applicants:
Applicants who are not employed by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services or one of its contractors must participate in computer matching. Those interested in applying through the computer matching option should check our website or contact the program director after February 1st annually to inquire about available appointments.
- The PDI program is using the on-line centralized internship application, DICAS, which may be accessed at https://portal.dicas.org (NOTE: The DICAS portal won't be available until after December 8th for the Spring Match); e-mail DICASinfo@DICAS.org. An applicant video explaining the process can be found on the eatright.org web site http://www.eatright.org/ACEND/content.aspx?id=186 under the ‘For Student’ section or under ‘Resources’ at http://www.eatright.org/BecomeanRDorDTR/content.aspx?id=8147. DICAS will be available after December 8th for the Spring Match. The on-line application must be completed for our program by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15th. The fee to use DICAS is $40 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional application.
- Applicants who apply to internships using DICAS will be asked to complete a personal statement in 1,000 words or less. Questions to be addressed in the personal statement include:
- What do you hope to gain from participation in the PDI?
- Why did you choose to apply to an internship with a strong foundation in
community and public health nutrition?
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to: DICAS - Transcript Dept., PO Box 9118, Watertown, MA 02472.
- When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will then be completed on-line by person giving the reference. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same individuals as references for each application.
- Applicants must also register online for computer matching at www.dnddigital.com and select dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15. There is a $50.00 computer matching fee.