January 30, 2012 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Update on Immunization Training for Local WIC Provider Staff
SUBJECT 2: Routine Formula Approval Reminder
SUBJECT 3: Formula Approval When the Local Agency Nutritionist is Not Available
SUBJECT 4: Updated WIC-8 Form
SUBJECT 5: WIC Help Desk Customer Service Survey
SUBJECT 6: WIC MICA Data by Agency
SUBJECT 7: Response Requested-Microcuvettes and Analyzers
Update on Immunization Training for Local WIC Provider Staff: The WIC Immunization Webinar will be available February 10th. LWPs will continue to provide screening and referral as a standard part of the WIC Certification process. Please encourage and remind participants to bring their immunization records to the clinic and when these are not available use the ShowMeVax registry to screen for status of immunization. If you have any questions, please contact your District TA Nutritionist.
Routine Formula Approval Reminder: When the local agency nutritionist or CPA is required to call the state WIC office per the FFRG for a formula approval or direct shipment, call 800.392.8209. You will then be directed to the state nutritionist assigned for that day. Please do not leave a voice mail message or send an email to the state nutritionist, that previously approved the formula or direct shipment, or your TA nutritionist as she/he may be out of the office or unavailable which would result in a delay in getting the formula. If you have any questions, please contact your District TA Nutritionist.
Formula Approval When the Local Agency Nutritionist is not available: It is the local agency’s responsibility to have a plan in place for handling formula approvals (WIC 27) that come into the agency on a day when the nutritionist is not available. This serves as a reminder of local agency options for handling a formula approval when the local agency nutritionist is not available. If you have any questions, please contact your District TA Nutritionist.
- Most formulas can be approved by the local agency CPA.
- Local agencies are encouraged to work together to provide services. Your agency may need to establish an agreement to refer formula approvals to another agency when the local agency nutritionist is not available. Discuss this arrangement with other agencies and sign a Memorandum of Understanding (template attached) before an approval is needed.
- The Clerk, HPA, or WIC Certifier should not call the state WIC office for a formula approval except in special circumstances. This is the responsibility of the local agency CPA or nutritionist.
Updated WIC-8 Form: The WIC/Breastfeeding Resource Supply Request form (WIC-8) has been updated. The updated form includes the following items:
- How to Know Your Baby is Getting Enough - English (#568)
- Immunization Schedule (#710)
- Vaccines for Children (#692)
- Growing Girls Stickers (#1193)
- Growing Boy Stickers (#1194)
Please begin using the new form when ordering supplies and resources from the DHSS Warehouse. If you have suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
WIC Help Desk Customer Service Survey: How are we doing at the WIC help desk? Was your question answered in a timely manner? Was the help desk technician professional? These questions and more are waiting for an answer. A customer service survey has been created and is available now. Anytime you contact the WIC Help Desk, whether it’s via the phone or via e-mail, whether your experience was good or bad, we want to hear from you. All surveys are confidential; however, there is an optional question that will allow you to submit your contact information. The survey is located at: http://health.mo.gov/living/families/wic/mowins/index.php.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Melissa Seaver at 800-392-8209 or Melissa.Seaver@health.mo.gov.
WIC MICA Data by Agency: This is a reminder of a tool that we first informed local agencies about in 2006 that can help you analyze data about your participants. This data allows the user to create and download tables, based on selected variables such as age, education and Medicaid (MOHealthNet) status from the following files: Prenatal, Postpartum, Prenatal/Postpartum, Infant and Child. The data is available on the WIC MICA web site. In case you no longer have the user name and password, we will send them to the WIC Coordinator by e-mail on February 6, 2012. (Because of confidentiality issues, it is necessary to make this data available only to local agencies, not the general public and not staff in your agency who do not work in WIC. On some queries only one individual will show. Based on the characteristics that were entered, someone may be able to determine who the person is. Do not share the user ID and password with others outside of your agency or those in your agency for non-WIC purposes.) The data you will see are WIC MICAs that are comparable to the WIC MICAs that have been available for several years, with one big difference. The data is presented by agency also, not only by county as in the past. The data will be your participants' data, regardless of where they live. On the left side tool bar on the WIC MICA home page, you will see links to Definitions and User Handbook. These links will assist you to better understand the data.
The site is located at http://health.mo.gov/data/mica/MICA/. Scroll down toward the bottom of the page and click on Local WIC Providers (Password Protected). Click on the item you want such as Prenatal or Infant. You will then need the user ID and password.
If you have questions, contact Mark Davis, at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
Response Requested-Microcuvettes and Analyzers: It is time to order microcuvettes by completing the survey. Please follow the instructions below to assure your agency receives your supply of microcuvettes and analyzers.
- Microcuvette Survey: Please complete and return the attached survey via e-mail to WICOperations@health.mo.gov by Wednesday, February 15, 2012. This will assure no interruption in the supply of microcuvettes.
- Microcuvette Order: The information from the survey will be used to identify the current supply on hand at each agency and to estimate the needs of each agency for the next six months. The microcuvette order will be shipped directly to your agency.
- Analyzers: Analyzers are also available to agencies by completing the request and justification. Tell us why you need the analyzer: replace current analyzer; expand services at another room/satellite site; more efficient work flow; other: explain.
Local WIC Provider Confirmation: When you receive the order please do the following:
- Verify the number of microcuvettes received with the number listed on the packing slip.
- If the number of microcuvettes in the package is the same as the packing slip, sign and date the packing slip.
- Fax the packing slip to Ellen Whittington at the State WIC Office within one (1) week of receiving the shipment. The fax number is (573) 526-1470. Confirmation on the packing slip is required in order for the State WIC Office to pay for the microcuvettes. Confirmation by e-mail will not be accepted.
- If the number of microcuvettes received is different from the packing slip, please call Ellen Whittington at 800-392-8209 or (573) 751-3661. Thank you for your cooperation. (ONE ATTACHMENT)