February 1, 2010 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Additional Training Sites Scheduled for Breastfeeding Training
SUBJECT 2: Breastfeeding Coordinator Training
SUBJECT 3: Urgent Call for Human Milk Donations for Haiti Infants
SUBJECT 4: Participant Confidentiality
SUBJECT 5: Health Information Tab/Food Package III Verification Date Box
SUBJECT 6: Missouri WIC Approved Breads and Tortillas (#580, Spanish Version)
SUBJECT 7: Survey for Translated Resource Items
SUBJECT 8: Hotel Reimbursement for Basic Orientation and MOWINS Training
- Additional Training Sites Scheduled for Breastfeeding Training: Additional training sites Hannibal (Marion County) and Ironton (Iron County) have been scheduled for the USDA training titled, “Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC”. Please see attached listing of training sites. Please remember that all local WIC agencies were allocated additional funding to attend this training to cover travel, staff time, lodging, meals, etc. These funds were budgeted on the LAP on Special Funding (Grant 5). If funds need to be reallocated from one funding category to another a WIC-9 needs to be completed.
To register for the training, please complete the attached revised registration form and either fax to 573-526-1470 or email to Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov. If you have already registered and would like to change to one of the new training sites, please contact Michelle by phone at 573-751-6244 or by email at the address above.
- Breastfeeding Coordinator Training: A Breastfeeding Coordinator training is scheduled for April 7th, 2010 in Jefferson City. This one-day session will cover the role of the Breastfeeding Coordinator, breastfeeding management, 3-Step Counseling, and guidelines for loaning breast pumps, including information on assembly, use and cleaning. This training will go beyond what is covered in the training “Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC: Breastfeeding Training for All WIC Staff”.
Training Dates: April 7th, 2010
Time: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Location: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, 930 Wildwood, Jefferson City
The training is mandatory for all new Breastfeeding Coordinators. Any other staff member who would like additional information on breastfeeding is welcome to attend. Email or fax the attached registration form to the State WIC office by March 26th, 2010. If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792.
- Urgent Call for Human Milk Donations for Haiti Infants: The Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA), United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC), International Lactation Consultant Association/United States Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA/USLCA), and La Leche League International (LLLI) are jointly issuing an urgent call for human milk donations for premature infants in Haiti, as well as sick and premature infants in the United States.
This week the first shipment of human milk from mothers in the United States will be shipped to the U.S. Navy ship Comfort stationed outside Haiti. Comfort is currently set up with a neonatal intensive care unit and medical personnel to provide urgent care to victims of the earthquake. HMBANA, USBC, ILCA/USLCA, and LLLI are responding to requests to provide milk for both premature infants and at-risk mothers who have recently delivered babies on board the USNS Comfort, but an urgent need exists for additional donations.
Currently milk banks are already low on donor milk. New milk donations will be used for Haiti victims as well as to replenish donor supplies to continue to serve sick and premature infants in the United States. Mothers who are willing to donate human milk should contact their regional Mothers' Milk Bank of HMBANA at www.hmbana.org/index/locations. For more information, contact HMBANA at 408-998-4550 (www.hmbana.org), the United States Breastfeeding Committee at 202-367-1132 (www.usbreastfeeding.org), ILCA/USLCA at 800-452-2478 (www.ilca.org or www.uslca.org), or La Leche League at 847-519-7730 (www.llli.org).
- Participant Confidentiality: It has been brought to our attention that participant data is being shared with other programs such as Head Start without the participant approving this sharing of confidential data. This is against the participant confidentiality policy, WOM # 1.01700, which specifically states:
The local WIC provider (LWP) shall keep all information about an applicant or participant, obtained from program participants, applicants, another source, or generated as a result of WIC application, certification, or participation, that individually identifies an applicant or participant and/or family member(s) as confidential. The LWP shall not disclose individual information to anyone except as provided in this policy.
There are specific procedures in this policy that are required when providing information. The participant must provide written consent for the LWP to share participant data. Please review WOM # 1.01700 addressing Participant Confidentiality. If you have questions or need further clarification please contact the WIC technical assistance staff assigned to your agency.
- Health Information Tab/Food Package III Verification Date Box: When a participant is to receive Food Package III, remember to check the Food Package III box in the Health Information Tab. You are to put the current date in the verification date field. MOWINS does not allow past dates to be entered into this date field. The purpose of this box is to verify the continued need for the issuance of Food Package III. Staff issuing the Food Instrument should first verify the continued need then put today’s (current) date in the verification date field. If you have questions or need further clarification please contact your District Nutritionist.
- Missouri WIC Approved Breads and Tortillas (#580, Spanish Version): Attached is the Spanish version of the Missouri WIC Approved Breads and Tortillas brochure and will be available through the web during the week of February 1, 2010. Please download and make copies as needed. This brochure should be available for local WIC providers in the warehouse by the end of February 2010. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Survey for Translated Resource Items: The State office has been providing resource items in 11 different languages available for downloading from the DHSS website and in Spanish available from the DHSS warehouse. We would like to know if your agency has used these resource items during 2009. On February 2, 2010, local WIC coordinators will receive an e-mail message with a link to the survey monkey to answer questions about the translated resource items. Please complete the survey by February 22, 2010. The information obtained through this survey will be used for planning. Therefore, each agency must complete the survey. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Hotel Reimbursement for Basic Orientation and MOWINS Training: The WIC Program will provide one-time only reimbursement for the cost at the government rate for overnight lodging for Local WIC Provider staff to attend the required WIC Basic Orientation and MOWINS training held in Jefferson City. These charges are not covered under the WIC services contractual agreement. The LWP should complete the attached template using their letterhead and submit to: DHSS-WIC, PO Box 570, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0570, ATTN: Laura Weiler or fax to 573/526-1470.
LWP’s should make their own hotel reservations and mention that they qualify for the Government CONUS rate of $78 per night plus tax. Here is a list of the hotels near the WIC office:
Comfort Inn and Suites 573/636-0300
Candlewood Suites 573/634-8822
Fairfield Inn 573/761-0400
Hampton Inn 573/634-7440
Please contact Laura Weiler with questions at 573-526-7901 or Laura.Weiler@health.mo.gov.
BF Coordinator Training Registration Form
BROCHURE - MO WIC APPROVED Breads & TORTILLAS SPANISH
MINI POSTER - MO WIC APPROVED Breads & Tortillas SPANISH
Grow-Glow BF Training Registration
MOWINS Reimbursement for Hotel Stay Template