May 11, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Invitation for FY 2010 Breastfeeding Peer Counseling (BFPC) Program
SUBJECT 2: WIC Children Not Enrolled in the State Children’s Health Insurance Program
SUBJECT 3: MOWINS Checks
SUBJECT 4: MOWINS Equipment- Particularly Signature Pads
SUBJECT 5: MOWINS Appointment Scheduling Calendar
SUBJECT 6: Risk Factors Issues in MOWINS
SUBJECT 7: Extra Formula
SUBJECT 8: New State WIC Employee- Help Desk
SUBJECT 9: State WIC Staff Pictorial Directory
- Invitation for FY 2010 Breastfeeding Peer Counseling (BFPC) Program: If your agency is interested in participating in the FFY 2010 BFPC program, please see the attached letter and application form. The completed application and BFPC agency plan needs to be submitted to Kathy Mertzlufft by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by fax at 573-526-1470 by June 5, 2009. If you have any questions, please contact her at 573-526-4792.
- WIC Children Not Enrolled in the State Children’s Health Insurance Program:
In December the Department of Social Services at the request of Governor Nixon matched children enrolled in the WIC program with those enrolled in Mo HealthNet and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). The data run showed 24,000 children enrolled in WIC that were eligible for SCHIP, but not enrolled. One of the Governor’s priorities is addressing uninsured Missourians.
The Department of Social Services (DSS) has provided us with the list of these children. We have sorted this listing by agency and posted it to Crystal Reports for your use. Click on WIC Reports Local Agency and then on the folder called SCHIP Reports – On WIC - Not on SCHIP. The information is in Excel. Go to your agency number and you will see the first name, last name, middle initial and DCN for each child. Please do not print the entire report as it is very large. You can copy and paste your agency’s names into a separate excel document.
The directors of the Department of Social Services and Health and Senior Services are asking that WIC agencies make a point of talking with these children/families at their next visit about Mo HealthNet and SCHIP and refer them to their local DSS office to enroll. We realize that some of these children/families may no longer be receiving WIC services, but many will still be active in WIC. We ask that you do your best to make these referrals. If you have any questions, please contact your TA team.
- MOWINS Checks: We want to remind local agency staff of the importance of looking at the WIC checks before they are given to the participant. Recently checks have come back from WIC banking in which the overlay was not showing on the check. Without the overlay, the check will be missing many key pieces of information/statements that show that it is a bone fide WIC check. This information includes: the WIC logo, “Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services”, “United Community Bank, Marietta, GA” and “Any Authorized Missouri WIC Vendor Only”. Also, we are receiving calls from grocery stores about these checks, because the store staff is questioning whether the checks are valid. This slows the process for participants when they go to the store and risks the participant being denied use of the check. Checks without the overlay must not be given to the participant. If this occurs, it means the printer will need to have the overlay reinstalled. Contact the ITSD Help Desk at 800-347-0887 for assistance. If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- MOWINS Equipment- Particularly Signature Pads: Overall, we should enough computer equipment for all agencies as they roll out on MOWINS. There is one item that is currently running short: signature pads. Due to the close out of the state financial year, we cannot order computer equipment until July. From now on, when local agencies request signature pads, we may need to send less than the number they ask for until we have more signature pads. There are 18 signature pads that will be available from the MOWINS training sets once the roll out training concludes in July. If any agencies have signature pads that they do not need, please let Mark Davis know so they can be redistributed to other agencies. If we still need more signature pads, we will order them in July. If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- MOWINS Appointment Scheduling Calendar: We are still having problems with information in the MOWINS appointment scheduling calendar sometimes disappearing. Because of this, local agencies are not required to use the calendar until it is fixed. The fix for this problem is in release 1.38, which is scheduled to be sent to us on May 8. Once testing is complete, we will implement it in production. We will let you know when it will be in production, ready for you to use. If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Risk Factors Issues in MOWINS: We appreciate all the information provided by LWPs regarding risk factor assignment issues. We are diligently working to test the issues and determine where errors may lie - whether the system assigns the risk factor incorrectly, or the system may not allow manual assignment of the risk factor. Following are the risk factors LWPs have provided to us for testing thus far: 111, 113, 121, 131, 135, 151, 201, 425, 501 and 502.
Risk factors that show in the list as those that can be selected but should not be used are: 152, 300, 336, 337, 340, 382, 800, 901 and 903; Risk Factor 428 should only be used for infants 4-12 months and children 12-23 months; Risk Factor 902 should only be used for infants and children, not women. Risk Factor 332 should show in the list as only available for women (P, B, and N).
Some of the nutrition education topics are listed more than once in the selection list and this will be fixed.
Please continue to provide comments regarding risk factor issues, along with state WIC ID numbers, to your District/TA Nutritionist. State WIC ID numbers and screen shots are especially helpful in testing and determining errors. The information will be forwarded to the appropriate person for review and testing. Thank you for your continued support and help.
- Extra Formula: Attached is a current listing of extra formula available at different LWPs and guiding principles for shipping created to assist you when sending or receiving extra supplies of infant formula. Please check the listing in order to utilize formulas with the most recent expiration date first, prior to placing an order, to help keep food costs down. Also be sure to notify your district nutritionist or Michelle Nienhuis at Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov when you have unused formula available at your agency so it may be added to the database. If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Nienhuis at 1-800-392-8209.
- New State WIC Employee - Help Desk: We have hired a new employee to answer Help Desk calls. Mike Bonnett will work as an Information Support Coordinator (ISC) in the Customer Service Unit, staffing the MOWINS Help Desk and doing MOWINS training and testing. Mike has a B.S. in business administration from Central Missouri State University and has over five years experience at OMD Corporation as a software application support analyst, doing many of the same duties as he will do for WIC. Mike will soon start answering calls on the Help Desk. Please welcome Mike to WIC!
If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- State WIC Staff Pictorial Directory: In the past few months several new staff has joined the State WIC office. These new staff include: Mike Bonnett - works the help desk for Customer Service; Julie Robinett – office manager for WIC and Nutrition Services; Nancy Keim – nutritionist in the SE district office; Leslie Worrell - support for Operations and microcuvette manager. The following staff has left the State WIC office for job promotions and new opportunities: Barbara Myers and Elizabeth Weyrauch. Nancy Russell will be retiring June 30, 2009.The State WIC office has updated its pictorial directory of State agency staff. Each staff person in the State office is pictured with their title, a brief description of their area of responsibility and telephone number. Since we do not always have the opportunity to meet each other face to face, we hope this will help you put a name to a face when you call our office. If you have any questions, please contact Julie Robinett at Julie.Robinett@health.mo.gov.
Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Program FY2010 Application Form.doc
Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Program FY2010 Invitation Letter.doc
Extra Supply of Formula.xls
UPS Hard Copy Form Shipping Instructions.doc