August 17, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Fit WIC MO FY09 Evaluation
SUBJECT 2: Updated Message - WIC Operations Manual Policies
SUBJECT 3: New Food Package Lesson Plan
SUBJECT 4: NWA Survey
SUBJECT 5: MOWINS MICR Printers
SUBJECT 6: Corrected Enfamil Next Step LIPIL & Enfagrow Premium Next Step LIPIL Information
SUBJECT 7: WIC Resource Item Shipping Plan
SUBJECT 8: Extra Formula
SUBJECT 9: Nutrition Education Opportunity
- Fit WIC MO FY09 Evaluation: We are nearing the end of our third year of statewide implementation of Fit WIC Missouri, a program to prevent childhood overweight in the WIC community. Each local WIC provider that participated in Fit WIC MO in FY09 is asked to complete the attached evaluation (Table 8). Any agency that wrote a goal, objective, strategy or activity in the FY09 LAP should complete the evaluation. On the attached form, simply check the nutrition and physical activity goals that your agency selected in FY09, report how many participants selected each goal and how many were successful at making the behavior change. Then check which activity to support WIC staff or which community activity your agencies selected, and give a brief report of the results. A few open-ended questions give you the opportunity to tell us what is working well for you and what barriers you are experiencing as you implement Fit WIC MO. Return this electronically to Rita Arni at Rita.Arni@health.mo.gov no later than September 30, 2009.
- Updated Message - WIC Operations Manual Policies: The New WIC Operations Manual (WOM) for 2010 will be available sometime in October 2009. Between now and when the WOM is updated we are making the policies available on the Web. With the implementation of MOWINS, it was an opportune time to revise and/or combine WOM policies or delete them if they no longer pertained to our work. Over 90 policies were deleted; over 100 were revised. In addition we had to develop others (about 20). The policies have been approved by USDA. We have sorted these policies as either: New, Revised or Deleted. Where appropriate we have noted which deleted policy was combined into a revised policy. You can do a search for the policy by a keyword or ER number. This will take you to the WOM policy; click on the hyperlink and the policy document will appear. We discovered errors in some of the nutrition policies linked in the list that was attached last week. These errors have been corrected. If you printed any policies, please be sure to compare them to the version that is linked in the attachment. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have questions, please contact your district TA staff.
- New Food Package Lesson Plan: The New Missouri WIC Foods Lesson Plan for LWPs to use for participant education is nearly ready. The following information may be used in your FFY10 Local Agency Plan, Nutrition Sessions page.
Nutrition Education Topic: New WIC Food Package
Type: Group or Individual
Session Title: The New Missouri WIC Foods
Cost Description: New WIC foods for display and sampling
Cost: (LWP determine amount)
If you have any questions, please contact your TA Nutritionist.
- NWA Survey: The National WIC Association (NWA) has asked state agencies to share the following survey with our local WIC agencies. Please feel free to complete this request for information.
The National WIC Association is gathering information from our Local Agency partners to get a sense of how the economic downturn is impacting your ability to conduct business and provide WIC services. This information will be used to create a national picture of the situation in the field for conversations with USDA, Congress and the Administration. We are grateful for your participation in this brief information gathering effort. Please complete this short survey by Friday, August 28.
Click here or go to: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=0ZOiMTu_2bgePAyAmv44EYLg_3d_3d to complete the survey.
- MOWINS MICR Printers: If you have either ST-9512 (small) or ST-9530 (large) MICR printers that you do not need, please contact Mark Davis so the printers can be redistributed to other local agencies. Include the WIC number of the printer(s) in the email.
Contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Corrected Enfamil NEXT Step LIPIL & ENFAGROW Premium Next Step LIPIL Information: The State office apologizes that there was an error in the formula information that was sent out last week. Please share this information with your staff. Remember posters about formula cannot be posted anywhere. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- WIC Resource Item Shipping Plan: Attached is a shipping plan for the new WIC Resource Items. Please share the information with your staff. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Extra Formula: Attached is a current listing of extra formula available at different LWPs and guiding principles for shipping created to assist you when sending or receiving extra supplies of infant formula. Please check the listing in order to utilize formulas with the most recent expiration date first, prior to placing an order, to help keep food costs down. Also be sure to notify your district nutritionist or Michelle Nienhuis at Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov when you have unused formula available at your agency so it may be added to the database. If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Nienhuis at 1-800-392-8209.
- Nutrition Education Opportunity: WIC Registered Dietitians, Nutritionists, Registered Nurses, Certified Nurse Midwives, Nurse Practitioners, Physicians, and other Public Health Professionals who serve preconceptual, pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women will want to take advantage of this two-day National Maternal Nutrition Intensive Course, shown by video stream on September 9 - 10, 2009 in Jefferson City. This year's continuing education program focuses on the improvement of maternal and infant health through the delivery of risk-appropriate high-quality nutrition services. This training is presented by the University of Minnesota’s School of Public Health, Centers for Public Health Education and Outreach and the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of WIC and Nutrition Services, Nutrition Training Institute; and sponsored by the Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration, the U.S. Department of Health and the Human Services and Food and Nutrition Service and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Attached is the registration form for this course. Please complete the form and return it to Michelle Nienhuis. If further information is needed, please contact Michelle Nienhuis at Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov.
SHIPPING PLAN - WIC ITEMS
Univ of MN Maternal Nutr Intensive Course 2009
UPS Hard Copy Form Shipping Instructions
CORRECTED NEXT STEP and ENFAGROW POSTERS
Extra Supply of Formula
Fit WIC Evaluation FFY09