August 10, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: United States Breastfeeding Committee
SUBJECT 2: Formula Correction in MOWINS
SUBJECT 3: Infant Formula Rebate Contract Awarded
SUBJECT 4: Next Step Formulas - Formula Name and Label Changes
SUBJECT 5: MOWINS MICR Printers
SUBJECT 6: WIC Operations Manual Policies
- United States Breastfeeding Committee: The theme of World Breastfeeding Week 2009 is Breastfeeding: A Vital Emergency Response. Are You Ready? This year's focus aims to draw attention to the vital role that breastfeeding plays in emergencies worldwide and to stress the need for active protection and support of breastfeeding before and during emergencies. Please see http://www.usbreastfeeding.org/NewsInformation/NewsRoom/
200908WBW2009AVitalEmergencyResponse/tabid/148/Default.aspx from the US Breastfeeding Committee. If you have any questions, please contact your District TA Nutritionist.
- Formula Correction in MOWINS: As you know, due to a problem we had previously in MOWINS all of the formula in the system was classified as a Contract Formula. This problem has been fixed so that only the standard contract formulas will be classified as Contract Formulas. All exempt formulas and medical foods will be classified at Special Prescription Formulas. We will begin making the correction in MOWINS on August 17th and you will start seeing the Special Prescription formulas on August 17. All special prescription formulas in MOWINS should be done by 9/1/09. If you have any questions, please contact your District TA Nutritionist.
- Infant Formula Rebate Contract Awarded: (This was included in the June 29th WIC Weekly Update.) Missouri has awarded its infant formula rebate contract that begins October 1, 2009 to Mead Johnson Nutritionals (MJN). USDA requires all states to have an infant formula rebate contract for milk and soy-based formulas. MJN is our current rebate contractor; their contract ends September 30, 2009. The new contract is for a three (3) year period with possible renewals after that time. Since our computer system is already set up with the MJN formulas and our participants and local WIC provider staff is familiar with the MJN products, it is nice to not have to make any changes. Of course we will continue to allow the exempt formulas and medical foods from the other formula manufacturing companies, Abbot Labs/Ross, Nestle, Nutricia and PBM. Many of you have inquired about Enfamil Premium. This new MJN formula is on the formula rebate contract that begins October 1, 2009. We will not issue Enfamil Premium until October 1, 2009. We will be sending to you the list of contract rebate formulas when we receive it from MJN. If you have questions, please contact your District TA Nutritionist.
- Next Step Formulas - Formula Name and Label Changes: Mead Johnson Nutritionals (MJN) has changed Next Step formula names and labels.
- Enfamil NEXT STEP becomes Enfagrow PREMIUM.
- Enfamil ProSobee NEXT STEP becomes Enfagrow Soy.
- The UPC codes for Enfagrow formulas are the same as those of Next Step formulas.
- The food descriptions in MOWINS have been updated as shown in table below. The new descriptions allow participants to purchase either Next Step formula (old) or Enfagrow formula (new) at WIC vendors. On August 17, 2009, the old description will be inactivated and the new description will be activated in MOWINS.
WIC Check - Old Description
WIC Check - New Description (Effective August 17, 2009)
24 OZ NEXT STEP LIPIL POWDER
24 OZ ENFAGROW PREMIUM OR NEXT STEP LIPIL POWDER
24 OZ NEXT STEP PROSOBEE LIPIL POWDER
24 OZ ENFAGROW SOY OR NEXT STEP PROSOBEE LIPIL POWDER
WIC vendors will be notified of this change. Please share this change with your staff and advise participants. Mini-posters for the new labels and new descriptions for WIC checks are attached. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- MOWINS MICR Printers: If you have either ST-9512 (small) or ST-9530 (large) MICR printers that you do not need, please contact Mark Davis so the printers can be redistributed to other local agencies. Include the WIC number of the printer(s) in the email.
Contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- WIC Operations Manual Policies: The New WIC Operations Manual (WOM) for 2010 will be available sometime in October 2009. Between now and when the WOM is updated we are making the policies available on the Web. With the implementation of MOWINS, it was an opportune time to revise and/or combine WOM policies or delete them if they no longer pertained to our work. Over 90 policies were deleted; over 100 were revised. In addition we had to develop others (about 20). The policies have been approved by USDA. We have sorted these policies as either: New, Revised or Deleted. Where appropriate we have noted which deleted policy was combined into a revised policy. You can do a search for the policy by a keyword or ER number. This will take you to the WOM policy; click on the hyperlink and the policy document will appear. If you have questions, please contact your district TA staff.
NEXT STEP and ENFAGROW POSTERS