July 7, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Discontinuation of Non-Contract Formulas
SUBJECT 2: Notification of shipping the new Missouri WIC Approved Food List (English)
SUBJECT 3: Spanish Version of the new Missouri WIC Approved Food List
SUBJECT 4: World Breastfeeding Week Promotion
SUBJECT 5: Nutrition Education Items and Updated WIC Nutrition Education Request Form (WIC-7)
- Discontinuation of Non-Contract Formulas: Due to the increasing costs for all foods including formulas, the State office has decided NOT to approve non-contract formulas effective October 1, 2008. When non-contract formulas are issued instead of the contract rebatable formula, the Missouri WIC program loses out on the rebate that would have been given if a contract formula was issued. Participants can redeem checks for non-contract formulas received prior to September 30, 2008. The food packages for non-contract formulas in the HANDS system will be inactivated on October 1, 2008. If you are unsure as to the names of the non-contract formula, please refer to your Missouri WIC Program Reference Sheets WIC Formulas, Foods and Food Packages. The revised Reference Sheets - WIC Formulas, Foods, and Food Packages (October 1, 2008 version) will be released through WIC Weekly Update by September 2, 2008. A notification letter for participants will be sent via WIC Weekly Updates during the month of July. This will provide you with information to share with your participants about this change. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Notification of Shipping the new Missouri WIC Approved Food List (English): The new Missouri WIC Approved Food List: Effective Period October 1, 2008 - September 30, 2009 is being printed. By July 25, 2008, the DHSS warehouse will begin shipping to all local WIC providers approximately a 2-3 month supply of the English version of the new food list. Please order additional copies from the warehouse as needed. The new food list is being translated into various languages (Arabic, Bosnian, Chinese, Farsi, Hmong, Korean, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese). If you have questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Spanish Version of the new Missouri WIC Approved Food List: The Spanish version of food list will be printed at the State Printing Center and be available at the DHSS warehouse by the middle of August. If your agency needs the Spanish version of food list, please e-mail Sheila Dessieux by Friday, August 8, 2008, at Sheila.Dessieux@health.mo.gov and indicate the number of packets your agency needs. If you have questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- World Breastfeeding Week Promotion: August 1-7 is designated each year as World Breastfeeding Week by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) and the entire month of August is designated Missouri Breastfeeding Month. The theme for this year is "Mother Support: Going for the Gold." In conjunction with the Olympics next August, World Breastfeeding Week 2008 calls for a greater support for mothers in achieving the gold standard of infant feeding: breastfeeding exclusively for six months, and providing appropriate complementary foods with continued breastfeeding for up to two years or beyond.
Visit the ILCA website or www.worldbreastfeedingweek.org for more information on World Breastfeeding Week. Literature and posters are available at the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services warehouse website. For promoting breastfeeding activities in your community, attached are a sample news release, sample breastfeeding proclamation, and suggested promotion activities from the National WIC Association. If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792 or Shanna Morgan by email at Shanna.Morgan@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-751-6218.
- Nutrition Education Items and Updated WIC Nutrition Education Request Form (WIC-7): New nutrition education items listed below are available for all local WIC providers at the DHSS warehouse. Please use the updated WIC 7 form (7/08 version) when you order these items.
- Fruits and Vegetable Champions - Bookmark (#544)
- Fruits and Vegetables More Matters (#545)
- Great Taste Matters - Bookmark (#587)
- Go for Green - Bookmark
- Fruits & Veggies More matters (Notepad)
If you have any suggestions or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
Action Ideas for WBW 2008
News Release Breastfeeding Month
Sample BF Proclamation
WIC-7 Nutrition Education Material Request Form 07-02-08 TT
WIC FFY2009 Food List-FINAL EN 07-02-08 TT
WIC New F&V Brochures 07-02-08 2 PDFs TT