June 4, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Missing and Exploited Children
SUBJECT 2: Congratulations 2008 WIC Calendar Children's Art Competition Winners
SUBJECT 3: Provisional 2006 Birth Data
SUBJECT 4: Translated Forms and Resource Materials Survey
SUBJECT 5: Executive Summary Report of the 2006 Missouri WIC Mother-Caregiver Satisfaction Survey
SUBJECT 6: MyPyramid Education Resources
SUBJECT 7: Smoking Cessation Training
SUBJECT 8: June 14th HANDS Help Desk Coverage
SUBJECT 9: WIC Caseload Update for FFY07
SUBJECT 10: Disaster/Emergency Preparedness Plan - Resend
- Missing and Exploited Children - The WIC program received a notification from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children requesting information on a missing child, Kyanja Vanwey. Attached is a poster with identifying information. Agency staff may report having seen this person, but may not provide any information regarding her WIC status or participation in the WIC program. If you or your staff sees Ms. Vanwey, you can notify Detective Robert Lew of the Des Moines Police Department at 515-283-4811.
- Congratulations 2008 WIC Calendar Children's Art Competition Winners - Congratulations to the Andrea Reynolds (age 4) from the Ozark County Health Center WIC Program and Laine Doty (age 7) from the Joplin City WIC Program. Their artwork was selected for inclusion in the 2008 WIC calendar. Our thanks to all the agencies that contributed children's artwork.
- Provisional 2006 Birth Data - We have received provisional 2006 birth data from Health hacdd. This includes data on live births by county of residence and which women were on Medicaid, WIC and both prenatally. This is the same chart that we provided last year. This gives you an idea of how successful you are in getting Medicaid prenatals into WIC services. We cannot provide the names of the women receiving prenatal Medicaid services because of confidentiality and the fact that Medicaid data belongs to the Department of Social Services and not to the Department of Health and Senior Services. When the 2006 data becomes final (sometime in July), we will send the final spreadsheet. If you have any questions about the data, please contact Lyn Konstant at Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov or call 573-751-6086.
- Translated Forms and Resource Materials Survey - Feedback from local WIC providers is important in determining needs of the translated forms and brochures. Please complete the attached survey form and return it to Takako Tagami by faxing at 573-526-1470 or e-mailing at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov by June 30, 2007.
- Executive Summary Report of the 2006 Cultural Competency Missouri WIC Mother-Caregiver Satisfaction Survey - The WIC State office is pleased to share the Executive Summary Report of the 2006 Missouri WIC Mother-Caregiver Satisfaction Survey with all local WIC providers. The survey was conducted to determine: a.) How Missouri WIC can improve program services to both English and non-English speaking participants b.) How program service needs differ between English speaking participants and non-English speaking participants. A key finding was that non-English speaking participants and English speaking participants were very satisfied with most aspects of the WIC program. The WIC State office would like to thank to the following WIC providers for volunteering participate in the survey and proving good customer services to their participants. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Cape Girardeau County Health Department
- Clay County Health Center
- Crescent Clinic
- Family Care Health Centers
- Joplin City Health Department
- Northeast Community Action Corp
- Pettis County Health Center
- Samuel U. Rodgers Health Center, Inc.
- Scott County Health Department
- Springfield-Greene County Health Department
- St. Charles County Department of Community Health
- St. Joseph/Buchanan County Health Department
- St. Louis County Department of Health
- St. Louis Human Development Corporation
- St. Luke's Hospital WIC Clinic
- Sullivan County Health Department
- Truman Medical Center - Lakewood
- MyPyramid Education Resources - Local WIC Providers are asking questions about using the MyPyramid for Kids and MyPyramid: Steps To A Healthier You handouts. The following information is provided for clarification.
- MyPyramid for Kids may be used for counseling caregivers of children age 2-5 years. Remember, MyPyramid recommendations from USDA apply only to children age 2 and up and adults.
- MyPyramid: Steps To A Healthier You may be used for counseling breastfeeding and postpartum women, and may be used as a guideline for counseling caregivers of children.
If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Smoking Cessation Training - The Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Prevention and Awareness Program in DHSS is sponsoring the Missouri Model for Brief Smoking Cessation Training. Attached is the registration form to register for the class. For additional information contact Kelly Welch at email@example.com or 1-800-877-6246. Fax the completed registration to Kelly at 573-751-6185.
- June 14th HANDS Help Desk Coverage - There will be no HANDS Help Desk coverage from 11:00-5:00 on June 14 due to a State WIC staff meeting.
If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- WIC Caseload Update for FFY07 - We have received the May 2007 caseload figures. Caseload continues to climb with services in May to 134,345 participants. Thank you for your dedicated efforts to reach out to potential WIC participants and provide needed services. If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Lyn Konstant at Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov or Jim Schindler at James.Schindler@health.mo.gov.
- Disaster/Emergency Preparedness Plan: We have received comments from only one local WIC provider regarding the Disaster/Emergency Preparedness Plan that we sent out May 7. If any other LWPS want to respond, please do so by June 15. Attached is the draft Disaster/Emergency Preparedness Plan, ER# 3.00500. Please review this draft and submit your recommendations for changes to Reba Brown at Reba.Brown@health.mo.gov. Please provide your comments to Reba by June 15, 2007. If questions please contact Phyllis Fuller at Phyllis.Fuller@health.mo.gov.
WIC Medicaid 2006 Prov Data
Survey Translation of Forms
Smoking Cessation MO Model Flyer-Registration