July 23, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: 2008 Contract Caseload
SUBJECT 2: October 2007 WIC Program Updates
SUBJECT 3: FFY 2008 Local Agency Plan (LAP)
SUBJECT 4: Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) 3 Step Counseling Training - Save the date
SUBJECT 5: VENA Nutrition Committee June 25 Meeting Minutes
- 1. 2008 Contract Caseload: 2008 Contract Caseload is in the attached spreadsheet. Each Local WIC Provider is listed with the number of participants expected to be served under the contract and the dollar amount of the contract at $9.50 per participant. The Breastfeeding Grant #1 and Grant #2 are also listed separately and with the total contract amount. The number of participants contracted for 2008 is conservative due to the 10% rise in food costs, the steady increase in the number of participants seeking services and the higher per participant reimbursement rate. We have conservatively estimated caseloads in order to be able to move funding to agencies with increasing caseloads and not over obligate limited resources. The contract will reimburse providers only for services rendered with a "not-to-exceed" amount listed on the front of the contract. We will monitor caseload monthly in order to make timely decisions to amend contracts with agencies where increasing numbers of women and children are seeking WIC services.
Contact Kathleen Davis with questions at: email@example.com or 573-526-2821.
- Mandatory October 2007 WIC Program Updates Training. The one-day sessions will provide attendees with an overview of the new WIC data system. We will discuss the timeline, new equipment that will be required, show screen shots and answer your questions about the new data system. The training will be delivered on-site at several locations and dates throughout the state. The WIC Coordinator and Nutrition Coordinator must attend. Other WIC local agency staff may attend. Time of Training: 9:00-1:00. Registration deadline is September 1, 2007. See attached registration form.
If you have questions, contact Larry Rutledge at larry.Rutledge@health.mo.gov or 573-526-0226 or 800-392-8209.
- FFY 2008 Local Agency Plan (LAP): It is time to develop your annual WIC Local Agency Plan (LAP). The good news is we will be increasing the cost-per-participant for FFY 2008 to $9.50. Beginning caseload assignments can be found on the attached worksheet entitled “2008 Contract Caseload WIC Update.xls”. Also on that worksheet you will find the additional amounts you will be assigned for the Breastfeeding Peer Counselor (BFPC) Grants 1 & 2 (those who applied and were approved).
Make sure you start by using the final version of your 2007 LAP that was returned by the state with our approvals on it, that you updated with your mid-year evaluation of your Goals and Objectives. Do a “Save As” of your current LAP with your Mid-year evaluation saving it as AgencyName LAP 2008.xls. If you cannot find your LAP document, we can send you the approved one from last year (contact Glenn.Studebaker@health.mo.gov if you need it replaced). Of course it will not have your Mid-year evaluation, so that will have to be added.
We are attaching a PowerPoint, “WIC_Needs_Assessment_Worksheet_2008.ppt” that shows where to find the information for your Needs Identification Worksheet. State data for the Needs Assessment Worksheet is in “2008_State_Data_for_Needs_Assesment.xls.”
Again this year the state is requiring LWPs to include an evidence-based intervention or interventions that can increase Breastfeeding promotion and support. You can find some recommended evidence-based interventions in the attachments entitled “BF_Interventions.doc.” In keeping with our state and USDA’s goals we are also highly recommending LWPs institute interventions aimed at increasing caseload and decreasing overweight and obesity in children for those agencies with rates above the state average or maintaining there rates if below the state average. Attached you will find a list of interventions aimed at increasing caseload in the Attachment entitled “Caseload_Interventions.doc.” Finally you can also find recommended FitWIC interventions for overweight and obesity entitled “FitWIC_Interventions.doc” and additional information about the framework of FIT WIC called “FitWIC_MO_FY08_Framework.doc.” Record these interventions as strategies tied to a measurable objective.
We have included an example LAP called Example_LAP_2008.xls so you can see how we expect you to fill out and revise your LAP.
The completed LAPs will be due to the state the last working day of August, Friday, August 31, 2007. Submit the document by e-mail to Linda.Rost@health.mo.gov. If you have problems with the LAP tool, need to add additional goal worksheets or questions on how to fill out the LAP, call or e-mail Glenn Studebaker at (573) 751-6198 or at Glenn.Studebaker@health.mo.gov.
- Mandatory WIC and Nutrition Services: Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) 3 Step Counseling Training: Please save these dates for the 3 Step Counseling Training. At the present time, the training is tentative because we are working out the contractual agreements for the training. This will be mandatory for all CPAs (RDs, Nutritionists, RNs) unless verification of attendance at a Breastfeeding Coordinator Training or Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Training can be provided. The one-day sessions will provide continuing education to WIC staff to increase their knowledge in areas that are specific to their scope of practice. This interactive continuing education is designed to assist in encouraging and sustaining successful nutrition counseling using VENA guidelines. We will discuss strategies the staff can use during the counseling session at the WIC clinic that can quickly identify participant's motivation to change and their emotions for enhancing the learning process of the counseling session. We will also instruct the attendees on developing active listening techniques, ways to evaluate their teaching techniques and to identify which techniques work best with which type of WIC participant. The training will be delivered on-site at several locations and dates throughout the state. The CPAs must attend, but all WIC staff is encouraged to attend. Training will be held from 8:30am to 4:00pm. If you have any questions, please contact Vicki Strickland at Vicki.Strickland@health.mo.gov.
Location and Dates:
November 5 - Cottleville - St. Charles Community College, Student Center Room 205, 4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Cottleville, MO 63376
November 6 - Jefferson City - Governor Office Building, Room 450, 200 Madison Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101
November 7 - Macon - Comfort Inn Hotel, Salon A Room, 1821 N. Missouri Hwy 63 North, Macon, MO 63552
November 8 - Cape Girardeau - Osage Community Centre, 1625 North Kingshighway, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
March 3 - Kansas City - Truman Medical Center-Lakewood, Truman Room #2, 7900 Lee's Summit Road, Kansas City, MO 64139
March 4 -Cameron - Cameron Area Health Offices, Large Conference Room, 207 East McElwain, Cameron, MO 64429
March 6 - West Plains - West Plains Civic Center, Walnut Room, 110 St. Louis Street, West Plains, MO 65775
March 7 - Springfield - Doling Family Center, Community Room, 301 East Talmage, Springfield, MO 65803
- VENA Nutrition Committee Minutes: Attached are minutes from the June 25 VENA Nutrition Committee. The minutes also include the list of committee members. If you have comments or questions, contact Phyllis Fuller at Phyllis.Fuller@health.mo.gov.
2008 Contract Caseload WIC Update
Oct. Training Registration Form
2008 WIC LAP Training
Minutes 6-25-07 VENA Nutrition Committee