January 29, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: HANDS Help Desk Coverage and Upcoming Holidays
SUBJECT 2: WIC Audit Closure through FFY 2001
SUBJECT 3: University of Alabama Pediatric Nutrition Satellite Conference Sites Needed
SUBJECT 4: Formula Changes
SUBJECT 5: Shipping MyPyramid Pregnancy Pamphlets
SUBJECT 6: Translated Versions of Nutrition Assessment Forms
SUBJECT 7: 2007 Client Services Enhancement Project
- HANDS Help Desk Coverage and Upcoming Holidays: The State WIC Office will be closed and there will be no HANDS Help Desk coverage on February 12 for Lincoln's Birthday and on February 19 for Presidents' Day. Additionally, there will be no HANDS Help Desk coverage on February 15, from 8:00 to 3:00 due to a State WIC staff meeting. If you have questions, contact Mark Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-392-8209 or 573-526-5323.
- WIC Audit Closure through FFY 2001: You are hereby authorized to proceed with the destruction of any and all WIC records which you may choose to destroy through Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2001 (September 30, 2001) unless prohibited from doing so by other state or local restrictions.
All records with participant or vendor identification should be destroyed in such manner as to protect their privacy. Therefore, please consider destruction by means of a shredder or incinerator. If you have further questions or need assistance, please contact Carol Steinman, Monitor Coordinator at Carol.Steinman@health.mo.gov or 800-392-8209.
- University of Alabama Pediatric Nutrition Satellite Conference Sites Needed: Sites are needed by February 9th to host a viewing site for the 2007 Annual Pediatric Update from the University of Alabama at Birmingham on Wednesday, June 6th from 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. WICNS is sponsoring this educational opportunity: "Prevention, Assessment and Treatment in Childhood Obesity: Recommendations from the AMA Expert Task Force on Childhood Obesity".
This satellite training is usually held at health offices throughout the state. Registered dietitians, nutritionists, WIC agencies, and other health care professionals will strengthen their knowledge of techniques in preventing, assessing, and treating patients with childhood obesity. This teleconference will review the evidence and present the task force recommendations. In addition, discussions will focus on how to implement these recommendations in both community and clinical (primary care and tertiary care) settings. This is an annual pediatric update conducted by the University of Alabama at Birmingham. They will arrange for all continuing education for dietitians and nurses. Individual registration pamphlets will be available in the spring.
Please see the attached site registration form for details or contact Michele Bailey at (573) 751-6481 or Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov with questions.
- Formula Changes: The following changes will be implemented in the HANDS system on March 5, 2007:
- Discontinuation of Enfamil with Iron and Enfamil LIPIL Low Iron
- Ross Product Name Change - From Similac Lactose Free to Similac Sensitive
Please share the attached notification letter with your staff and advise your participants as needed. The revised WIC Approved Formula and Food Reference Materials will be sent to all local WIC providers through Weekly Update in June 2007. If you have any questions please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Shipping MyPyramid Pregnancy Pamphlets: All local WIC providers will receive a 2-3 month supply of the My Pyramid Pregnancy pamphlet early February. Please order additional supplies as needed using the local WIC provider Supply Request form (WIC 8). The pamphlets: “My Pyramid For Kids” and “My Pyramid - Steps to Healthier You” will be shipped to local WIC providers in March. If you have any questions please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Translated Versions of Nutrition Assessment Forms: The attached are the translated versions (Hmong and Vietnamese) of the WIC Nutrition Assessment forms for Women (WIC-36), for Infants (WIC-37), and Children (WIC- 35). Please make copies as needed. If you have any questions and/or suggestions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- 2007 Client Services Enhancement Project: Applications have been reviewed and most application budgets have been finalized. We plan to notify agencies by email this week and follow-up with a letter in the mail. We were able to fund a part of most projects, although not all projects were funded this year. We thank all the agencies that sent applications and look forward to seeing the results of these projects. Contact Kathleen Davis at Kathleen.Davis@health.mo.gov with any questions.
Satellite Conference Site Registration Form
WIC-35 Nutrition Assessment for Children Ages 1-5-Hmong
WIC-36 Nutrition Assessment for Women-Hmong
WIC-37 Nutrition Assessment for Infants-Hmong
WIC-35 Nutrition Assessment for Children Ages 1-5_Vietnamese
WIC-36 Nutrition Assessment for Women-Vietnamese
WIC-37 Nutrition Assessment for Infants_Vietnamese