March 20 - 24, 2006 WIC Update
SUBJECT: New Food Packages - Speciality Milk
SUBJECT: Training: State Agency and Local WIC Provider Responsibilities Policy
SUBJECT: Guidelines for Approved Nutrition Education Resources Policy
SUBJECT: 2006-2007 Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI)
SUBJECT: WIC Learning Online (WLOL)
SUBJECT: Microcuvette Orders
- The projected implementation date of new food packages for Speciality Milks is April 17, 2006. Effective April 17, 2006, SM ___________ food packages for children and women will no longer be available in the HANDS system and food item code 110 for Specialty Milk will no longer be available. Food item codes and food packages for all WIC approved Specialty Milks will be available in HANDS. This will allow the State WIC office to track the need for speciality milks and which milks are being issued. The updated food package and item code listings will be e-mailed to local WIC providers during the week of March 27, 2006. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at 1-800-392-8209 or e-mail Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- USDA has approved the Training Policy which clarifies required trainings for local WIC provider staff, and the additional requirement of nutritionists to complete five (5) hours of continuing nutrition education per federal fiscal year. Please see attached WOM policy ER# 2.01300 and Summary of Required Trainings. Contact Rose Sipakati at 800-392-8209 or firstname.lastname@example.org if questions.
- USDA has approved the policy on approving Nutrition Education Resources. This policy provides the Criteria Review form for use when reviewing nutrition education materials and media, and a checklist for use when developing materials. Please see attached WOM policy ER# 2.06200, Criteria Review form and the criteria checklist. Please contact Takako Tagami at 800-392-8209 or email@example.com with questions.
- The State WIC Office had excellent candidates for the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services’ (DHSS) Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI) through the Pre-select option. We are pleased to announce that four (4) interns were selected for the 2006-2007 PDI class through this option which means that all four interns for next year are from LWP sites. The interns for next year beginning in September 2006 are Jennifer Dampf, Gasconade-Osage Co. Health Dept.; Susan Forbes, Joplin City Health Dept.; Megan Hickey, St. Louis Co. Dept. of Health; and Jessica Stafford, People's Health Centers, Inc. If you have questions about the PDI or application process, please check the website or contact Vicki Strickland at 800-392-8209 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) is pleased to announce that WIC Learning Online (WLOL) is now approved for 3.9 contact hours for nurses through the American Nurses Association. Modifications to the registration form, certificate, evaluation form, WLOL homepage and WLOL FAQs page have been made to reflect this additional service. In order to receive credit, nurses are required to complete both the course and the evaluation. Every 6 months, the Food, Nutrition and Information Center (FNIC), will send a list to the Nurses Association of the names of the nurses who have completed the course and a summary of evaluations, as this is their required reporting method. WIC Learning Online (WLOL) can be reached through the WIC Works Resource System.
- HemoCue has received the order that was placed by the State WIC office for the purchase of Microcuvettes. The Local WIC Providers should have started receiving their orders during the week of March 13-17. In the event that the agencies are running low on Microcuvettes and they still have not received their order, they should contact Crystal Collins at 573-751-6204 or by e-mail at Crystal.Collins@health.mo.gov to request some.
Attachment: Microcuvette Fax Back Letter