November 7, 2005 WIC Update
SUBJECT: Newborn Screening of Louisiana Evacuees due to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
SUBJECT: Revision 7 Adjusted Gestational Age
SUBJECT: Revised Food Packages for Next Step LIPIL Formulas
SUBJECT: Extra Formula
SUBJECT: New Customer Service Manager - Mark Davis
SUBJECT: Electric Breast Pump Serial Number
SUBJECT: Veterans Day - November 11, 2005
- Attached is correspondence that the Missouri State WIC Office received regarding newborn screening for infant evacuees from Louisiana due to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Please post the Public Service Announcement (2 pages) in an area that will be seen by your WIC participants.
- Note regarding Revision 7 Adjusted Gestational Age -
Assignment of risk factor X7 shall be based on adjusted gestational age while risk factors X3, X4, X5 and X6 will continue to be assigned based on chronological age.
Adjusted Gestational Age shall be calculated for the first 2 yrs of life and used for plotting when an infant or child has been diagnosed as premature (less than or equal to 37 weeks gestation) and is less than 24 months of age. It is important to remember this when plotting for risk factors X3, X4, X5, and X6 and when plotting and assigning risk factor X7. Please remember, this is a new procedure for plotting and assessing of premature infants or children with the implementation of Revision 7 risk factor changes on October 1, 2005.
- Due to the problems regarding availability of Next Step LIPIL products in 12-oz cans, food packages have been developed to allow the 24 ounce can of this product. Please read the attached correspondence addressing this change. If questions regarding food packages please contact Takako Tagami at 1-800-392-8209 or e-mail Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Attached is a listing of extra supplies of formulas located in different LWPs. If you are in need of any of the formula for a WIC participant in your agency, please contact the person that is listed. Please note in the attached that one formula, Similac Alimentum, expires November 2005.
- Mark Davis is the new Customer Service Manager in the WIC State Office. His responsibilities include being the Information Technology Coordinator, which means he will answer your computer questions among other duties. Doug McKeever, former Information Technology Coordinator, who is a Health Program Representative III, will be working out of the DHSS Northwestern District Office located in Independence. Doug will be conducting monitoring of both the local WIC providers and WIC vendors. Please direct your computer questions to Mark at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov.
- REMINDER: In the October 17th Monday E-mail, the LWPs were sent a form to fill out and return regarding the Medela electric breastpump. Please complete the form and return it to the State WIC office. The information with the serial number of each electric pump is needed for inventory control. The deadline for submission is November 14, 2005.
- The State WIC Office will be closed on Friday, November 11, 2005 in observance of Veterans Day.
Attachment: Newborn Screening Memorandum