Injury and Violence Prevention
Missouri Injury Facts
- Unintentional injuries are the leading cause of death among ages 1-44. More years of potential life were lost due to injury than to any other cause of death.
- Motor Vehicle traffic crashes are the leading cause of injury death among ages 3 - 44 which accounted 2016 fatalities and 557,567 total injuries in 2010 including disabling injuries.
- Falls are the leading cause of death among ages 65 and older. Death from falls in Missouri is significantly higher than the national average (72.32 vs. 48.4 per 100,000 population in 2009)
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death. More Missourians die by suicide than by DWI, homicide or AIDS.
- Homicide is the leading cause of injury death for infants under one year of age. These deaths are most commonly related to abuse.