Information for Health Care Providers
Screening for Hemoglobinopathies
All infants born in Missouri are screened for sickle cell conditions.
This information is designed to provide general guidelines to the primary care physician when an infant has a positive newborn screening result. Physicians are encouraged to contact a specialist in hemoglobinopathies at one of the sickle cell resource centers for consultation or referral if needed to evaluate the clinical condition of the infant.
Links to Other Resources
- ACMG Newborn Screening ACT Sheets and Confirmatory Algorithms
- Medline Plus - National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health
- NHLBI: The Management of Sickle Cell Disease
- Oakland Children’s Hospital - Comprehensive Thalassemia Center
- Sickle Cell Information Center